Fri, Apr 27|
Hôtel Alt Montréal
The Whole Child Approach to Supporting the Developing Brain: A Model of Assessment & Treatment
Tamara G. Soles, PhD & Miglena Grigorova, PhD OPQ Accreditation for 6 hours of continuing education: RA02354-18 The registration fee of $295+tx. includes lunch and refreshments Online streaming registration is $225+tx. for full access to live broadcast & question periods
Time & Location
Apr 27, 2018, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Hôtel Alt Montréal, 120 Rue Peel, Montréal, QC H3C 0L8, Canada
About The Event
The Whole-Child Approach to Supporting the Developing Brain: A model of assessment & treatment of children with social-emotional, behavioural, & academic difficulties
As clinicians, one of the most powerful and effective interventions we can implement involves helping parents and educators shift their lens from one of identifying "misbehavior" to one of supporting brain development. A child with even mild functional nervous system lags may experience serious behavioural, social-emotional, and/or learning difficulties. Understanding that 1) chronological age and brain maturity do not follow a linear relationship and 2) the interpersonal variability of maturation of various neural systems is sizable, would help clinicians formulate child-centered treatment plans that work.
This course will present an integrative neuropsychological model of normal child development that takes into account neurobiological, socio-environmental, family, and medical factors. Discussion will include topics such as sensory processing and sensory integration, inhibitory processes, hemispheric lateralization, interhemispheric integration, and their impact on emotional, behavioural, and academic difficulties. This course will also review specific strategies for assessment and intervention, including strategies that move away from traditional behavioural models to ones that support this neurobiological framework and strengthen the parent-child relationship.
1. Strengthen clinicians' understanding of the complex interactions between the developing brain, functional neurological systems, emotions & behaviour and how these interactions apply to the developing brain's ability to:
- manage emotions and behaviour
- concentrate, listen, learn, remember
- plan, organize, and execute complex or novel tasks
2. Present best practices for assessment of developmental, learning, or behavioural disorders from the perspective of the brain maturation model:
- Assessment of function (observational tools)
- Assessment of skills (psychometric tests)
- Assessment of the whole child (brain, family, environment)
3. Present best practices for treatment of emotional/behavioural difficulties based on the brain maturation model.
4. Strengthen clinicians' skills in case conceptualizations, development and implementation of child-centered interventions from the perspective of the brain maturation model.
Who Should Attend
This workshop is designed for psychologists who work with children or families either in therapy or assessment. Social workers, counselors, psychotherapists, and educators are also welcomed, as the workshop is geared toward any practitioner involved in facilitating the development of a child and who is looking for concrete strategies to improve their clinical skills. The goal is to help clinicians move beyond traditional models into current models of effective assessment and treatment rooted in integrative neuropsychology.
Registration fees ($295 plus taxes) are reimbursed in full minus a $50 administrative fee, up to 15 days before the event. There is no reimbursement for cancellations 15 days or less before the event.
The facilitators reserve the right to cancel a workshop based on low registration. In such cases, participants will be reimbursed fully.
Please note that parking fees are not included in the registration fee. Parking is available for $15. Entrance to parking from Young Street).
In Person OPQ RA02354-18
Cost is $295 plus sales taxes for a total charge of $339.18
Attend Online OPQ RA02354-18
Cost for online attendance is $225 plus sales taxes for a total charge of $258.69
Cost is $250 plus sales taxes for a total charge of $287.44